This healthy entrée features economical chicken tenders and plenty of fresh vegetables, rather than large amounts of more expensive meat. It can be enjoyed on its own or served over a bed of cauliflower rice to absorb the delicious, rich sauce.
The flavor is even better the next day, so consider making a double batch for a quick and healthy lunch the following day.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1½ t. smoked paprika
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings:
- Avocado, diced
- Pickled jalapenos and red onion, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, tomatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken tenders and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook until the chicken develops a bit of color on each side, around 6-7 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything is well coated and the spices are fragrant, around 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked through and no longer